from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Cooked by boiling in the shell to a solid consistency. Used of eggs.
- adj. Callous; unfeeling.
- adj. Unsentimental and practical; tough.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. cooked to a solid consistency
- adj. callous and unsentimental
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of hard-boil.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. same as hard-bitten.
- adj. emotionally hardened; -- used of persons.
- adj. cooked until the yolk is solid; -- used of eggs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Boiled so long as to be hard: said of eggs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tough and callous by virtue of experience
- adj. used of persons; emotionally hardened
- adj. (eggs) cooked until the yolk is solid
Sorry, no etymologies found.