American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Cooked by boiling in the shell to a solid consistency. Used of eggs.
- adj. Callous; unfeeling.
- adj. Unsentimental and practical; tough.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Boiled so long as to be hard: said of eggs.
- adj. of a boiled egg cooked to a solid consistency
- adj. callous and unsentimental
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of hard-boil.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. same as hard-bitten.
- adj. emotionally hardened; -- used of persons.
- adj. cooked until the yolk is solid; -- used of eggs.
- adj. tough and callous by virtue of experience
- adj. used of persons; emotionally hardened
- adj. (eggs) cooked until the yolk is solid
“• Snack and lunch-box favorites: Peanut butter and jelly on whole-grain bread, cheese cubes, hard-boiled eggs, baby carrots, raisins.”
“My favorite part of The Sun Also Rises is when Jake thinks about how it is easier to be hard-boiled during the day than at night. booksherpa”
“Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett have taught Huge everything he needs to know about being a hard-boiled detective ... and hes just been hired to solve his first case.”
“[S] hould appeal to hard-boiled fans and canine fanciers alike.”
“After serving in the military in World War II, Raymond returned to the comic page with this, a sophisticated contrast to the then-popular hard-boiled detective.”
“A hard-boiled man who wants payback on the wrong side of the law comes to town and gets it.”
“We used to be served (thrown) SOS as a white sauce with chopped hard-boiled eggs, sometimes peas, and chipped beef on toast or biskets.”
“Lovely alongside hard-boiled quail's eggs (as my mother-in-law serves it!)”
“After worship I engaged in a last breakfast consisting of a small loaf of wheat bread, two pieces of goat cheese, a hard-boiled egg, ouzo and a cup of Turkish coffee.”
“After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hard-boiled’.
Study list of difficult words from Daniel Woodrell's novel Winter's Bone. In reverse order: start at the bottom to see words from the beginning of the novel!
eggjectives - words that describe different ways to prepare eggs
Looking for tweets for hard-boiled.