from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or occurring in winter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. belonging to winter; winter-like
- adj. characteristic or related to winter
- adj. occurring in winter
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to winter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to winter; wintry; hibernal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of or relating to winter
Latin brūmālis, from brūma, winter, from *brevima (diēs), the shortest (day) or winter solstice, archaic superlative of brevis, short; see mregh-u- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin brūmālis ("of or pertaining to the winter solstice; wintry"), from brūma ("the winter solstice; winter"), which is a contraction of *brevima ("the shortest (day)"). (Wiktionary)