American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Belonging to or characteristic of winter; cold.
- adj. Suggestive of winter, as in cheerlessness or coldness: a wintry welcome.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to winter; occurring in wilder; peculiar or appropriate to the cold season of the year; cold and stormy.
- Figuratively, cool; chilly; frosty.
- adj. suggestive or characteristic of winter; cold, stormy
- adj. aged, white(-haired etc.)
- adj. chilling, cheerless
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Suitable to winter; resembling winter, or what belongs to winter; brumal; hyemal; cold; stormy; wintery.
- adj. devoid of warmth and cordiality; expressive of unfriendliness or disdain
- adj. characteristic of or occurring in winter
- contraction of winter + -y (Wiktionary)
“Moorman, a college track star, has done the same for the Buffalo Bills, though typically in wintry conditions.”
“Coldness of spirit hinders praying; prayer cannot live in wintry atmosphere.”
“But with division rival Tampa Bay coming to Charlotte next Monday night, Smith wasn't gloating about the Panthers 'stunning 35-31 victory in wintry conditions at Lambeau Field.”
“As someone who has to grade weak students 'papers (in wintry Pittsburgh, alas, rather than sunny LA) I know and sympathize with the temptation.”
“The wind was sweeping by in wintry gusts; and Fleda cried herself to sleep, thinking how it would whistle round the dear old house when their ears would not be there to hear it.”
“And now it is cold and wintry, which is really really nice, although I am feeling a bit sick.”
“I recall wintry days when I stayed in bed to keep warm, for I never could indulge in the luxury of fire, and with a pillow on my stomach I did my harmony lessons.”
“Local authorities yesterday rejected criticisms that they have not done enough to make icy roads passable, calling the wintry conditions gripping”
“One of the most charming moments in the show comes from Mary Jane Herber, local historian and genealogist at the Brown County Library, recalling the wintry day in 1975 when Tank Cottage was moved on a Fox River barge from Green Bay to Heritage Hill State Historical Park in Allouez.”
“The kind of wintry, contemplative weather, that brings a tune to mind.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wintry’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
List of most of the words I've learned
she's such a joy.
It's exactly what it sounds like. And yeah, for real people as much as characters. Big surprise.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Unfeeling; comfortably dry.
"Ella, ella, ella..."
Looking for tweets for wintry.