Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of hardening, congealing, or solidifying with cold; freezing or chilling treatment.
- Such as to freeze; specifically, at or below the temperature of 32° F. (0° C.), which is called the freezing-point, because water freezes at that temperature; in general, very cold: as, freezing weather.
- Figuratively, haughty; stern; chilling: as, freezing politeness.
- adj. literally Suffering or causing frost
- adj. by extension Very cold
- n. uncountable, physics, chemistry The change in state of a substance from liquid to solid by cooling to a critically low temperature.
- n. countable, medicine The action of numbing with anesthetics.
- v. present participle of freeze.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Tending to freeze; for freezing; hence, cold or distant in manner.
- n. the withdrawal of heat to change something from a liquid to a solid
“That's what we call freezing rain, Fredricka, where it comes down as rain and then it freezes on contact.”
“Every one knows that we determine that one fixed point of our thermometer scale which we call the freezing point of zero by placing the thermometer in a mixture of pure water and ice.”
“Steve says we must do what he calls freezing him out -- make him feel that we do not want him here.”
“Water melts at what we call the freezing, but might just as wisely, though not as conveniently, call the melting, point; and radiates as it cools into the most beautiful of all known crystals.”
“Depending on how cold that surface layer is, and how thick, the rain falling through that colder air will either freeze as it falls, landing as sleet; or, it will freeze on contact with the surface, which we call freezing rain.”
“Additionally, I have no idea where, or how, you would change a wet diaper in freezing temperatures outdoors.”
“The hole would persist in freezing up, and thus gave them many”
“Health: Keeping healthy while standing for hours in freezing rain”
“Waterfowl are usually taken in freezing conditions.”
“Carbonite freezing is only good if we then drop it off the highest building we can find … and then waking him mid-fall.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘freezing’.
Words about beer and the making of it.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
by Howard Nemerov
Sparrows were feeding in a freezing drizzle
That while you watched turned to pieces of snow
Riding a gradient invisible
From silver aslant to rando...
By the Pogues, on their CD "Red Roses for Me."
Hello boys I've been away
On a bit of a holiday
To the land where the rivers freely flow
And the cattle roam on the wil...
Looking for tweets for freezing.