from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or occurring in the spring.
- adj. Characteristic of or resembling spring.
- adj. Fresh and young; youthful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Young; fresh.
- adj. Pertaining to spring.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the spring; appearing in the spring.
- adj. Fig.: Belonging to youth, the spring of life.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The trade-name of diethylmalonvlurea, a colorless, crystalline powder, used in medicine as a soporific.
- Of or pertaining to the spring; belonging to the spring; appearing in spring: as, vernal bloom.
- Of or belonging to youth, the springtime of life.
- In botany, appearing in spring: as, vernal flowers.
- Done or accomplished in spring: as, the vernal migration or molt of birds
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. suggestive of youth; vigorous and fresh
- adj. of or characteristic of or occurring in spring
Latin vērnālis, from vērnus, from vēr, spring; see wesr̥ in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Entering English in the sense of “pertaining to spring” in 1534: From Latin vernālis ("of those things pertaining to the spring"), from vernus ("of spring"), from vēr ("spring"); compare Old French vernal, French vernal. (Wiktionary)