from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A pale yellow variety of crystalline quartz resembling topaz.
- n. A light to moderate olive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A goldish-yellow colour, like that of a lemon.
- n. A brownish-yellow quartz
- adj. Of a goldish-yellow colour
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like a citron or lemon; of a lemon color; greenish yellow.
- n. A yellow, pellucid variety of quartz.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a lemon-color; yellow or greenish-yellow; specifically, of a color differing from yellow only in its greatly reduced chroma and somewhat reduced luminosity. Also citrean, citrinous.
- Pertaining to the genus Citrus; having the characters of or resembling the citron, lemon, lime, or orange.
- n. Citron-color. See extract.
- n. A yellow pellucid variety of quartz.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. semiprecious yellow quartz resembling topaz
Yellow quartz is sometimes known as citrine; when the quartz presents a pale brown tint it is called "smoky quartz"; and when the brown is so deep that the stone appears almost black it is termed morion.
Do you happen to know where to get full-on bright lemon yellow curtains specifically Kelly Wearstler "citrine" yellow if possible?
Explaining the mineral contents of this mosaic, Rose said, "the red is garnet, blue is turquoise, the lighter blue are crystals of calcite, the black is a very rare marble ... and the name of the marble is Orca, and her hair is made with California white quartz and citrine which is yellow quarts."
Lalique's flora and fauna are everywhere—nude feminine figures with insect wings on a necklace, a lizard lorgnette, an ivy and clover hatpin, swans here, wheat sheaves there, a pair of white peacocks with multicolor tails standing on a heart-shaped citrine.
She might also tell me to do something new (and so be renewed?), such as ride my bike to Camaret and give my new friend Liliane a jam jar of jardin jewels: those ruby and sapphire and citrine splendors in the garden.
Photographs by Kurt Wilberding Tamsen Z 60-inch necklace made from citrine briolettes, $11,600, Tamsen Z, 212-360-7840
Photographs by Kurt Wilberding Kara Ross raw citrine necklace, $11,700, Kararossny. com
Photographs by Kurt Wilberding Marco Bicego Jaipur bangle crafted in 18-karat yellow gold with citrine and mother-of-pearl, $890, and Jaipur bangle crafted in 18-karat yellow gold with citrine and blue topaz, $890 each, Saks, 877-551-7257
Photographs by Kurt Wilberding David Yurman large oval citrine and 18-karat-gold rings, $2,150 each, David Yurman Townhouse, 212-752-4255
My favorites, though, are citrine bead necklaces, twinkling in their cases on Fifth Avenue — from around $20.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.