American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See tungsten.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native tungstate of iron and manganese. Its color is generally a brownish or grayish black, and it has a reddish-brown streak. The specific gravity (7.2 to 7.5) is nearly equal to that of metallic iron. It occurs crystallized, also massive with lamellar structure: it is the ore from which the metal tungsten is usually obtained, and is often found associated with tinstone. Also called
- n. The metal tungsten or wolframium: an improper and now uncommon use.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) Same as wolframite.
- n. same as tungsten.
- n. a heavy grey-white metallic element; the pure form is used mainly in electrical applications; it is found in several ores including wolframite and scheelite
- From German Wolfram, of disputed origin; possibly Wolf ("wolf") + Ram ("dirt, soot"); or Wolf ("wolf") + Rahm ("cream"), calque of Latin lupī spūma “wolf’s foam”; or from a surname. (Wiktionary)
- German, wolframite, tungsten : probably Wolf, wolf (from Middle High German, from Old High German; see wl̥kwo- in Indo-European roots) + -ram (from Middle High German rām, dirt). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Hi, I am Jorge again, well i would like to have online image editor in wolfram alpha, Thanks and see you.”
“Further trivia: wolfram is the old name for tungsten, and there's both a Wolfram Syndrome and, better known, a Munchausen Syndrome”
“I've also done due diligence for venture firms on multiple products such as wolfram alpha.”
“If you want to type ‘cell phone’ and see all the data out there well organized, wolfram alpha is supposed to solve this.”
“Apparently you just place the cursor in the Wolfram Alpha search box on the page, then open Ubiquity and type "create-new-search wolfram".”
“By 1942, the German war machine was nearly totally dependent on Portuguese and Spanish wolfram.”
“Not a primary source like wolfram, but it's more flexible and will give you structure, which a simple search lacks.”
“That looks fantastic, I'm a huge wolfram (mathematica) fan and they never fail to impress! greimel imh”
“If you're using yubnub: mash2 search terms here - cmd wolfram twits g y”
“We will always be grateful to wolfram sir for his great and timeless work.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wolfram’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Hello, and Welcome™! Come and visit our most diverse land of our Animalesque™ adventures. Here at Noah's Park™ we have Virtually All You'd Ever Want To See™. An experience that is related to ani...
unnameable, unknowable, unfathomable
the feeling of reading Joseph Conrad or H. P. Lovecraft
or walking through Kunark in EverQuest
or looking at medi...
Looking for tweets for wolfram.