from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 18 + 1.
- n. The 19th in a set or sequence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cardinal number occurring after eighteen and before twenty, represented in Roman numerals as XIX and in Arabic numerals as 19. It is the last/largest of the "teens".
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Nine and ten; eighteen and one more; one less than twenty.
- n. The number greater than eighteen by a unit; the sum of ten and nine; nineteen units or objects.
- n. A symbol for nineteen units, as 19 or xix.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nine more than ten, or one less than twenty: a cardinal numeral.
- n. A number equal to the sum of nine and ten, or one less than twenty.
- n. A symbol representing nineteen units, as 19, or XIX, or xix.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of eighteen and one
- adj. being one more than eighteen
Middle English nintene, from Old English nigontēne; see newn̥ in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English nynetene, nintene, from Old English nigontīene, nigontēne, from Proto-Germanic *newuntehun. Compare Dutch negentien, German neunzehn, Danish nitten. (Wiktionary)