American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 18 + 1.
- n. The 19th in a set or sequence.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nine more than ten, or one less than twenty: a cardinal numeral.
- n. A number equal to the sum of nine and ten, or one less than twenty.
- n. A symbol representing nineteen units, as 19, or XIX, or xix.
- n. The cardinal number occurring after eighteen and before twenty, represented in Roman numerals as XIX and in Arabic numerals as 19. It is the last/largest of the "teens".
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Nine and ten; eighteen and one more; one less than twenty.
- n. The number greater than eighteen by a unit; the sum of ten and nine; nineteen units or objects.
- n. A symbol for nineteen units, as 19 or xix.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of eighteen and one
- adj. being one more than eighteen
- From Middle English nynetene, nintene, from Old English nigontīene, nigontēne, from Proto-Germanic *newuntehun. Compare Dutch negentien, German neunzehn, Danish nitten. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English nintene, from Old English nigontēne; see newn̥ in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It is a testament to Saint Paul’s success in converting gentiles that my family worshipped at an Episcopal church bearing his name nineteen hundred years later and 4,600 miles away, on Fairmount Boulevard in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.”
“As a lifelong Portlander, born right here in nineteen and fifty four, I am sick and tired of hearing this from a bunch of east coast transplants who turned my working class blue collar town into their idea of utopia.”
“Listed below are links to weblogs that reference How to put on an f--- ing Mamet play in nineteen f--- ing days:”
“Camden is building a mixed income development with 68 family units in nineteen two-story buildings.”
“Youssef el-Mekki, a young man of nineteen, is living with his mother in the slums of Casablanca when he discovers that the father he believed to be dead is, in fact, alive and eager to befriend and support him.”
“Book Description: Youssef el-Mekki, a young man of nineteen, is living with his mother in the slums of Casablanca when he discovers that the father he believed to be dead is, in fact, alive and eager to befriend and support him.”
“Her book "Jacob Have I Loved" won the award in nineteen eighty-one.”
“Bridge to Terabithia" won a Newbery Medal in nineteen seventy-seven.”
“Her son's best friend died in nineteen seventy-four when she was struck by lightning.”
“Boston, Massachusetts, held the first First Night celebration in nineteen seventy-six.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nineteen’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
By Eric Bogle.
Well, how'd you do, Private Willie McBride,
D'you mind if I sit down here by your graveside?
I'll rest for a while in the warm summer sun,
A list of some words for numbers (mostly cardinal numbers, but a few other important ones that have short descriptions).
Names of numbers.
The words for the numbers. Any number from minus infinity to infinity. And back. This list ensures that Wordie will never, ever run out of unique words to add.
Looking for tweets for nineteen.