American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 14 + 1.
- n. The 15th in a set or sequence.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Five more than ten, or one more than fourteen: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The sum of ten and five, or fourteen and one.
- n. A symbol representing fifteen units, as 15, XV, or xv.
- n. Same as fifteenth, 3.
- n. The cardinal number occurring after fourteen (14) and before sixteen (16).
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Five and ten; one more than fourteen.
- n. The sum of five and ten; fifteen units or objects.
- n. A symbol representing fifteen units, as 15, or xv.
- adj. being one more than fourteen
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of fourteen and one
- From Middle English, from Old English fīftīene, fīftēne, from Proto-Germanic *fimftehun. Compare West Frisian fyftjin, Dutch vijftien, German fünfzehn, Danish femten. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English fiftene, from Old English fīftēne; see penkwe in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Pleasures_ was published -- 1682-1683 -- the following work was registered at Stationers 'Hall: _The Woman's Advocate, or fifteen real comforts of matrimony, being in requital of the late fifteen_ sham _comforts_.”
“_Only_ five (fifteen) came yesterday, "which might mean," I don't mind a _few_; _only_ don't bring so many as _fifteen_; "or else”
“The official rules are "list fifteen books that had the most profound impact on you - ones you can think of in fifteen minutes or less.”
“SO you should make a list of the books that have most impacted your life, that you can think of in fifteen minutes ...”
“WiMAX known by just one in fifteen Japanese | 世論 What Japan Thinks”
“It was selected as a Target Bookmarked pick, and has been published in fifteen countries.”
“Earlier this year, we brought you news about the on-line project to recreate "Star Wars" in fifteen second clips.”
“Ratings for the 2009-2010 period were released Thursday, and "Nightline" emerged as the late night ratings leader for the first time in fifteen years.”
“Nominators are members of teen book groups in fifteen school and public libraries around the country.”
“Taylor gave him an address a few blocks away, and told him to be there in fifteen minutes.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fifteen’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Music and lyrics Â©1976 by Gordon Lightfoot
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
of the big lake they called "Gitche Gumee."
The lake, it is said, never gives up ...
A list of some words for numbers (mostly cardinal numbers, but a few other important ones that have short descriptions).
Names of numbers.
Looking for tweets for fifteen.