from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 14 + 1.
- n. The 15th in a set or sequence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cardinal number occurring after fourteen (14) and before sixteen (16).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Five and ten; one more than fourteen.
- n. The sum of five and ten; fifteen units or objects.
- n. A symbol representing fifteen units, as 15, or xv.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Five more than ten, or one more than fourteen: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The sum of ten and five, or fourteen and one.
- n. A symbol representing fifteen units, as 15, XV, or xv.
- n. Same as fifteenth, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being one more than fourteen
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of fourteen and one
Middle English fiftene, from Old English fīftēne; see penkwe in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English, from Old English fīftīene, fīftēne, from Proto-Germanic *fimftehun. Compare West Frisian fyftjin, Dutch vijftien, German fünfzehn, Danish femten. (Wiktionary)