from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Eirene, the Greek goddess of peace, one of the Horae/Horæ; equivalent to the Roman goddess Pax.
- proper n. 14 Irene, an asteroid.
- proper n. A female given name, in regular use since the 19th century.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fourteenth planetoid, discovered by Hind at London in 1851.
- n. In zoology: A genus of acalephs. Also written Eirene.
- n. Same as Irena.
French Irène, from Ancient Greek Εἰρήνη eirēnē "peace", name of a goddess of peace, of early Christian saints, and of an 8th-century Byzantine empress. (Wiktionary)