American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 13 + 1.
- n. The 14th in a set or sequence.
- n. Something having 14 parts, units, or members.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Four more than ten, or one more than thirteen: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The sum of ten and four, or thirteen and one.
- n. A symbol representing fourteen units, as 14, XIV, or xiv.
- n. The cardinal number occurring after thirteen and before fifteen, represented in Roman numerals as XIV and in Arabic numerals as 14.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Four and ten more; twice seven.
- n. The sum of ten and four; forteen units or objects.
- n. A symbol representing fourteen, as 14 or xiv.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of thirteen and one
- adj. being one more than thirteen
- From Middle English fourtene, from Old English fēowertīene, fēowertēne, from Proto-Germanic *fedurtehun. Compare West Frisian fjirtjin, Dutch veertien, German vierzehn, Danish fjorten. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English fourtene, from Old English fēowertēne; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If you won the title fourteen times, you lost it fifteen times.”
“Consider the fact that one in fourteen people on the planet has a Facebook account.”
“The determination to pass the health care reform despite the majority of Americans being against it, the arrogance and total disconnect of party leaders, and now this – changing the rules to suit their party's needs - Americans will not be forgetting this in fourteen months!”
“He had gone to the United States as a young fellow, and in fourteen years 'residence the longest period he had been out of work was twelve hours.”
“I can maybe handle being thirteenbut fourteen is way out of my frame of reference.”
“The expostulate would case with 4th & fourteen from the VU 43, as great as Nova would punt the round behind to UNH.”
“That included out-of-country voting in fourteen nations where 280,303 Iraqis registered.”
“Anyone every heard of the expression fourteen times a charm?”
“I am not sure what you call a fourteen year old who reads and loves Octavian Nothing -- mature? advanced? sophisticated?”
“One, Shawn's mother, who died when Shawn was fourteen, is buried in a double plot in Grand Rapids.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fourteen’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
If I've seen it, heard it, or marvelled at it, I'll stick it here.
A list of some words for numbers (mostly cardinal numbers, but a few other important ones that have short descriptions).
Names of numbers.
Looking for tweets for fourteen.