from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 16 + 1.
- n. The 17th in a set or sequence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cardinal number occurring after sixteen and before eighteen, represented in Roman numerals as XVII and in Arabic numerals as 17.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. One more than sixteen; ten and seven added.
- n. The number greater by one than sixteen; the sum of ten and seven; seventeen units or objects.
- n. A symbol denoting seventeen units, as 17, or xvii.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- One more than sixteen or less than eighteen, being the sum of seven and ten: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The number greater by one than sixteen; the sum of ten and seven.
- n. A symbol representing this number, as 17, or XVII, or xvii.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of sixteen and one
- adj. being one more than sixteen
Middle English seventene, from Old English seofontīne; see septm̥ in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English seventene, from Old English seofontīene, from Proto-Germanic *sebuntehun. Compare Dutch zeventien, West Frisian santjin, German siebzehn, Danish sytten. (Wiktionary)