American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 2 × 10.
- n. A decade or the numbers from 20 to 29: The children are now in their twenties. The temperature dipped into the twenties.
- n. The decade from 20 to 29 in a century.
- n. A twenty-dollar bill.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- One more than nineteen; twice ten: a cardinal numeral.
- Proverbially, an indefinite number: sometimes duplicated.
- n. The number which is one more than nineteen; twice ten; a score.
- n. A symbol rep resenting this number, as 20, XX, or xx.
- n. An old division of English infantry (see thousand and hundred). The commander of a twenty was called vintiner.
- n. The cardinal number 20, occurring after nineteen and before twenty-one.
- n. colloquial A banknote with a denomination of 20.
- n. 10-20 (location).
- n. military A set of twenty push-ups.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. One more than nineteen; twice ten.
- adj. An indefinite number more or less that twenty.
- n. The number next following nineteen; the sum of twelve and eight, or twice ten; twenty units or objects; a score.
- n. A symbol representing twenty units, as 20, or xx.
- adj. denoting a quantity consisting of 20 items or units
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of nineteen and one
- n. a United States bill worth 20 dollars
- From Middle English, from Old English twentiġ, from Proto-Germanic *twaintigaz, *twai tigiwiz, an old compound of *twain-/*twai (see two) and *-tigaz/*teguz. Compare West Frisian tweintich, Dutch twintig, German zwanzig, Danish tyve. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English twēntig; see dwo- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The calculation from the Valdez base should, however, be taken into consideration in making this barometric determination, and the mean of the two results, twenty thousand six hundred and ninety-six feet, or, roundly, _twenty thousand seven hundred feet_, is offered as the contribution of this expedition toward determining the true altitude of the mountain.”
“This fum divided by twenty, for the twenty years, gives twenty-* eight millions, one hundred and thirty thonfand livres per annum.”
“He did aid an '' bet, as the loryers call it, in thet, an 'thet proves him 'bout as mean as a white man ever gits ter be; an', 'sides thet, he did _sell_ har fur twenty dollars -- a' ooman thet even th '' judge '-- an' he _ar_ a _judge_ uv sech things -- was willin 'ter pay twenty-five hun'red fur; he _did_ sell har fur _twenty dollars_; an' thet proves him a fool!”
“Ruffm two hundred millions,) but there are only twenty or twenty-* foyr ..”
“Larry defended his title twenty consecutive times (all-in-all, fighting a total of twenty-six title bouts throughout his career) and held the record for forty-eight straight wins, next to boxing legend Rocky Marciano.”
“Longtime Bush family aide and campaign staffer Doug Wead coined the term twenty years ago and George W used it rather effectively in his 2000 campaign for the presidency.”
“And either way, it will be a memory in twenty years.”
“Being extemely optimistic, btw, it takes on average about twenty seconds per problem to grade, call it twenty minutes per question for all of my sections .”
“The only way to defeat the left — and I have failed in twenty years of arguing this to persuade conservatives — is to turn the table around and attack their moral self-image.”
“There might be a market for these when the looting starts in twenty-twelve.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘twenty’.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Very basic words for ESL students.
They went to sea in a Sieve, they did,
In a Sieve they went to sea:
In spite of all their friends could say,
On a winter's morn, on a stormy day,
In a Sieve they went to...
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
a writer's list
A list of some words for numbers (mostly cardinal numbers, but a few other important ones that have short descriptions).
Names of numbers.
Looking for tweets for twenty.