American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 6 × 10.
- n. A decade or the numbers from 60 to 69: They planned to retire in their sixties. The breeze kept the temperature in the sixties.
- n. The decade from 60 to 69 in a century.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being the product of six and ten; being the sum of fifty and ten: a cardinal numeral.
- n. The product of six and ten; the sum of fifty and ten.
- n. A symbol representing sixty units, as 60, LX, lx.
- n. The cardinal number occurring after fifty-nine and before sixty-one, represented in Roman numerals as LX and in Arabic numerals as 60.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Six times ten; fifty-nine and one more; threescore.
- n. The sum of six times ten; sixty units or objects.
- n. A symbol representing sixty units, as 60, lx., or LX.
- n. the cardinal number that is the product of ten and six
- adj. being ten more than fifty
- Old English sixtiġ. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English sixtig; see s(w)eks in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“War veterans who haven't spoken a word about their soldiering in sixty years start relaying anecdotes about the nineteen-year-old versions of themselves that leave one gobsmacked.”
“Europe, Asia, and Africa; but not one word has been heard of them-not in sixty years.”
“And within sixty seconds, Boo was shoulder to shoulder with his brother dropping balls down tunnels with his big brother.”
“Just like that, MSM to Blogspeak in sixty seconds …”
“She told me that Amex always called their customers within sixty days of a new account being activated to verify that they were who they said they were and they had given Amex a proper address.”
“Human population was decreased by 90% in sixty years.”
“The human population was decreased by 90% in sixty years.”
“And there's five hundred Daylight's back in sixty days," he added aloud.”
“But in sixty years the collie strain has worked out.”
“It was the afternoon of my first day, along about four o'clock, when the boilers of the GOVERNOR HANCOCK exploded and she sank in sixty feet of water alongside the dock.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sixty’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Typical words from Beatles song titles. Can you recreate the titles?
(Grammatical words have been omitted)
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
A list of some words for numbers (mostly cardinal numbers, but a few other important ones that have short descriptions).
Names of numbers.
Looking for tweets for sixty.