American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 4 × 10.
- n. A decade or the numbers from 40 to 49: They stopped smoking in their forties. At night the temperature fell into the forties.
- n. The decade from 40 to 49 in a century.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Four times ten; ten more than thirty, or one more than thirty-nine: a cardinal numeral.
- The sum of four tens, or of thirty-nine and one.
- A symbol representing this number, as 40, XL, or xl.
- The name (with qualifying terms) of two appellate civil tribunals and a criminal court in the Venetian republic.
- A collective designation of the members of the French Academy, forty in number. Also called the Forty Immortals.
- n. cardinal The cardinal number occurring after thirty-nine and before forty-one.
- n. slang A 40 ounce bottle of beer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Four times ten; thirty-nine and one more.
- n. The sum of four tens; forty units or objects.
- n. A symbol expressing forty units; as, 40, or xl.
- adj. being ten more than thirty
- n. the cardinal number that is the product of ten and four
- Middle English, from Old English fēowertig; see kwetwer- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Mr. Brewer of the Crown inn, Nothingham, undertook for a wager of forty guineas to go with a mare belonging to him in a cart, to Newark and back again, being a distance of _forty miles, in four hours_.”
“Early Park, in the parish of B Bird, had been his residence since he first came to the title forty years ago, and had been the scene of all his labours.”
“Early Park, in the parish of Bird, had been his residence since he first came to the title forty years ago, and had been the scene of all his labours.”
“The "old Earl" was his grandfather, Edward Stanley, who had held the title forty-two years, and died in 1776, at the age of eighty-seven.”
Charlotte Temple, a tale of truth; reprinted from the rare first American edition (1794), over twelve hundred errors in later editions being corected, and the preface restored; with an historical and biographical introduction, bibliography, etc., by Francis W. Halsey.
“This short book is arranged in forty second-person point-of-view chapters, each one a new thought experiment on what the afterlife might be like.”
“Last year was The New Complete Works of Josephus, which I'm glad I read, though I don't think anyone else joined us for that one, since reading all of that in forty days is simply impossible for anyone with, you know, a life.”
“Nobody disputes the fact that the tax base of the USA in forty years 'time will be large enough to pay for retirement benefits.”
“When the Senate rejected him 55 – 45, it was the first such instance in forty years.”
“Once in forty-seven years someone actually holds the guy to account, and he fails miserably.”
“We set out to raise eight thousand dollars to do a small publicity campaign for the record, so we set a forty-five day goal, to raise our eight thousand dollars, and to be perfectly honest, I was really nervous that we weren't going to raise the eight thousand dollars in forty-five days.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘forty’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Very basic words for ESL students.
They went to sea in a Sieve, they did,
In a Sieve they went to sea:
In spite of all their friends could say,
On a winter's morn, on a stormy day,
In a Sieve they went to...
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
I have a sizable collection of fiddle- and banjo-shaped bottles. Some quite old, others not so old.
this list is a list.
A list of some words for numbers (mostly cardinal numbers, but a few other important ones that have short descriptions).
Names of numbers.
Looking for tweets for forty.