from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the period of the reign of Queen Victoria: a Victorian novel.
- adj. Relating to or displaying the standards or ideals of morality regarded as characteristic of the time of Queen Victoria: Victorian manners.
- adj. Being in the highly ornamented, massive style of architecture, decor, and furnishings popular in 19th-century England.
- n. A person belonging to or exhibiting characteristics typical of the Victorian period.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to the reign of Queen Victoria or of that period.
- adj. Of, or displaying the supposed standards or ideals of morality of that period.
- adj. Of the style of architecture or furnishings of that period.
- adj. Of, or relating to the state of Victoria in Australia.
- n. A person living, or born in that period, or exhibiting characteristics of the Victorian period.
- n. A person from the state of Victoria in Australia
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the reign of Queen Victoria of England.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the reign of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, which began in 1837: as, the Victorian literature; the Victorian crown (see first cut under crown).
- Pertaining to Victoria in Australia
- n. One living in the reign of Queen Victoria, especially an author.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who lived during the reign of Victoria
- adj. of or relating to Queen Victoria of Great Britain or to the age in which she ruled
- adj. typical of the moral standards or conduct of the age of Queen Victoria
- adj. exaggeratedly proper
Sorry, no etymologies found.