Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who believes in the existence of a God; especially, one who believes in a God who sustains a personal relation to his creatures. In the former sense opposed to atheist, in the latter to deist.
- n. One who believes in the existence of a god, goddess, gods and/or goddesses.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who believes in the existence of a God; especially, one who believes in a personal God; -- opposed to
- adj. of or relating to theism
- n. one who believes in the existence of a god or gods
- From Ancient Greek θεός ("god") + -ist. (Wiktionary)
“I used to be an atheist but then I realized that "a-theist" is still god centered.”
“And as I pointed out, your position effectively drains the terms "theistic evolutionist" and "creationist" of all meaning, such that every theist is both a "theistic evolutionist" and a "creationist" at the same time.”
“Shouldn't He be just part of life and aligned with good whether someone identifies as theist or not?”
“To be fair, I think the theist is confident, tolerant, sympathetic if and only if: he’s raped an altar boy, tortured to death a heretic, successfully waged war on an infidel nation.”
“Anyway, that would be a problem for the atheist’s position in this case, since the theist is happy to stop at a single (or finite-numbered, just as good) universe, since the next step is God.”
“To summarize a long and heated debate, he sees himself as a "theist" -- a non-atheist -- but this doesn't translate as belief in God in the conventional sense.”
“Clearly an atheist calling a theist stupid would be rather... stupid in itself wouldn't it?”
“The theist is a man firmly persuaded of the existence of a”
“Weak, or negative, atheism is either the absence of the belief that gods exist (in which case anyone who is not a theist is a weak atheist), or of both the belief that gods exist and the belief that they do not exist (in which case anyone who is neither a theist nor a strong atheist is a weak atheist).”
“An observer unaware of this history might expect that anyone who believes in a God who cares about human beings that is, a theist would be someone who believes in Intelligent Design.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘theist’.
"Orphan" words - words in the database but unlisted.
If you would like to adopt one of these words, please leave your request in the comments, along with details of the home environmen...
Looking for tweets for theist.