American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who denies the existence of God, or of a supreme intelligent being.
- n. A godless man; one who disregards his duty to God. Synonyms Skeptic, Deist, etc.
- Godless; atheistic: as, “the atheist crew,”
- n. A person who believes that no deities exist (especially, one who has no other religious belief).
- n. broadly A person who rejects belief that any deities exist (whether or not that person believes that deities do not exist).
- n. loosely A person who has no belief in any deities, such as a person who has no concept of deities.
- n. loosely, uncommon A person who does not believe in a particular deity (or any deity in a particular pantheon), notwithstanding that they may believe in another deity.
- adj. Of or relating to atheists or atheism; atheistic.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.
- n. obsolete A godless person.
- n. someone who denies the existence of god
- adj. related to or characterized by or given to atheism
- From French athéiste (athée + -iste), from Latin atheos, from Ancient Greek ἄθεος (atheos, "godless, without god"), from ἀ- (a-, "without") + θεός (theos, "god").. (Wiktionary)
“Our hope it to encourage non-religious members of our community to not shy away from the term atheist and for believers to recognize that atheists are not anti-theists.”
“To be clear, the term "atheist" is not synonymous with the terms "non-believer" or "none" a catch-all category used by many researchers.”
“The word atheist is analogous to the denigrating word "colored" to describe African Americans, which was meant to say they are colored relative to the pure "standard" of white.”
“Just as we thankfully no longer use the world colored, we should abandon the term atheist.”
“The solution is to abandon completely the use of the term atheist, just as polite society no longer uses the "N" word to describe African-Americans, "Rag Heads" for Arabs or "Wet Backs" for those south of the border.”
“I'm not comfortable with the term atheist either, but would put myself into the agnostic category.”
“I don't even use the term atheist or agnostic anymore.”
“I don't like the term atheist because, to me, that is as rigid as religion is,”
“Some people agree with you about the term atheist though, suggesting other words such as “bright” or “freethinker,” etc.”
“I refuse to accept the term atheist for two reasons, the first is I don't believe anyone truly believes in a higher power”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘atheist’.
Collected from reading
species, sex, age bracket, occupation, hobby .. etc.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
My big word list.
Due to my absolute ignorance of masonry and masonic terms, this list is shamelessly copied from this masonic dictionary.
Feel free to add words (as soon as I complete my transcription).
verbs Adj Adv noun
Recently learned words that I like.
All the vocab will get in class over the year.
Looking for tweets for atheist.