Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who theoretically rejects or ignores all forms of religious faith and worship established on the authority of revelation, and accepts only the facts and influences which are derived from the present life; one who main tains that public education and other matters of civil policy should be conducted without the introduction of a religious element.
- Holding the principles of secularism.
- n. a person who believes in or supports secularism
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who theoretically rejects every form of religious faith, and every kind of religious worship, and accepts only the facts and influences which are derived from the present life; also, one who believes that education and other matters of civil policy should be managed without the introduction of a religious element.
- n. an advocate of secularism; someone who believes that religion should be excluded from government and education
- secular + -ist (Wiktionary)
“The leader of Turkey 's main secularist opposition is tearing up the rule book of the party that Ataturk built, as he tries to build a credible alternative to the government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.”
“Turkey has been a hotbed of debate between Islam and secularism recently with the election of President Abdullah Gül, whose first bid was blocked by the Constitutional court in secularist concern for his views on Islam and the fact his wife wears the hijab.”
“Seems to me the the motto of the secularist is "the only good Christian is a silent one.”
“No. The debate of whether to work with theists and mdoerate christians, or view them as "part of the problem" has been a strong theme in secularist groups for a very long time, and continue to present day.”
“The most remarkable alteration in secularist thinking over the past century has been its abandonment of natural law in favor of dismissing “reason” as a human construct.”
“And if you would allow wearing of crosses, but ban burkas … Or, maybe support the banning of both (as is the inclination (if not the legal situation …?) in secularist France …?”
“By relying on a dated epistemology, itself the product of the very kind of secularist "belief system" he claims has no place in the justification of law, Laws has obscured the proper relationship between religion and law.”
“She's a "secularist," blaming 'the stupid' on religion.”
“In theology, a kind of secularist religion is emerging in the work of Michael Hampson (God Without God) and John Shelby Spong (Jesus for the Non-Religious).”
“Accusations of a "secularist" conspiracy to keep God out of the new Capitol Visitors Center were flying from the religious right throughout its construction, and have continued since its opening in December.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘secularist’.
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for secularist.