from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who has rejected authority and dogma, especially in religious thinking, in favor of rational inquiry and speculation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who has formed their opinions using reason and rational enquiry; somebody who has rejected dogma, especially with regard to religion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who speculates or forms opinions independently of the authority of others; esp., in the sphere or religion, one who forms opinions independently of the authority of revelation or of the church; an unbeliever; -- a term assumed by deists and skeptics in the eighteenth century.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is not guided in the formation of his beliefs by obedience to authority, but submits the claims of authority to reason as the ultimate arbiter.
- n. Synonyms Unbeliever, Skeptic, etc. See infidel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who believes that God created the universe and then abandoned it
Sorry, no etymologies found.