Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A believer in fatalism; one who maintains the opinion that all things happen by inevitable predetermination.
- n. One whose conduct is controlled by belief in fatalism; one who accepts all the events and conditions of life as proceeding from or leading to an inevitable fate: as, Orientals are naturally fatalists.
- n. One who maintains that all things happen by inevitable necessity, a person who believes in fatalism.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who maintains that all things happen by inevitable necessity.
- n. anyone who submits to the belief that they are powerless to change their destiny
- adj. of or relating to fatalism
“He calls the fatalist's question: "Can an Arabian steed submit to be a vile drudge?”
“Dr. GOOLSBEE: Well, I certainly dont think we should adopt a kind of fatalist view that, you know, we were down in a deep hole, it's going to take us a while to get out so we should just give up.”
“I've been a "fatalist" and I'm beginning to see the error in my ways and how this dark overview has robbed my life of much joy and possible adventure.”
“Another term used to refer to people who see external forces as greatly determining their destiny is "fatalist," and Mexicans have often been labeled as being a great deal more fatalistic than Americans.”
“She made him sit down; she assured him that her sister quite expected him, would feel as sorry as she could ever feel for anything -- for she was a kind of fatalist, anyhow -- if he didn't stay to dinner.”
“a "fatalist," if it be fatalism to believe that "what will be will be," -- Jackson's constant motto.”
“The problem is that if you give an audience a threat, but no information on how to counter it, they either become fatalist or ignore it, and also, it opens the door to the counter-framing of calling people “alarmists”.”
“I guess that I am somewhat of a fatalist when it comes to what might happen in life.”
“He is a born gambler, as well as fatalist, and he is not averse to taking a chance; though his own life be the stake, he plays against another's life.”
“As he dies, the fatalist succumbs amid London's refrain: “Fortune did not whirl, but gay San Francisco dimmed and faded; and as the sun-bright snow turned blacker and blacker, he breathed his last malediction on the Chance he had misplayed.””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fatalist’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
I'm sure someone's done this before. If so, please leave the name of the list as an item on the list. Thank you.
Professional copy editor
See the comments under alist for the origin of this list.
i suppose, all of the words & phrases yoni wolf uses in alopecia, that i love.
Looking for tweets for fatalist.