from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An overly formal person, especially one who adheres to current forms; a stickler
- n. An advocate of formalism
- adj. Of or pertaining to formalism; formalistic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One overattentive to forms, or too much confined to them; esp., one who rests in external religious forms, or observes strictly the outward forms of worship, without possessing the life and spirit of religion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who adheres strictly to established custom, form, or usage, as in style, conduct, or procedure; one who is attached to the observance of recognized modes or methods; also, one who has undue regard to forms and rules.
- n. In philosophy, one who denies the existence of matter and recognizes the existence of form only; an idealist.
formal + -ist (Wiktionary)