from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An authority on or a student of ritual.
- n. One who practices or advocates the observance of ritual.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one skilled in ritual
- n. one excessively concerned with religious ritual
- n. one rigidly adhering to institutional procedures
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One skilled un, or attached to, a ritual; one who advocates or practices ritualism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One versed in or devoted to ritual; a specialist in the systematic study of liturgical rites and ceremonies; especially, a writer upon this subject.
- n. One who advocates or practises distinctive sacramental and symbolic ritual, especially that inherited or revived from ancient usage; specifically [capitalized], one of that branch of the High-church party in the Anglican Church which has revived the ritual authoritatively in use in the second year of King Edward VI. (see ornaments rubric, under ornament).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an advocate of strict observance of ritualistic forms
- n. a social anthropologist who is expert on rites and ceremonies
ritual + -ist (Wiktionary)