from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who rants; a noisy, boisterous speaker or declaimer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A noisy talker; a raving declaimer.
- n. One of a religious sect which sprung up in 1645; -- called also Seekers. See Seeker.
- n. One of the Primitive Methodists, who seceded from the Wesleyan Methodists on the ground of their deficiency in fervor and zeal; -- so called in contempt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who rants; a noisy talker; a boisterous preacher, actor, or the like.
- n. A name applied
- n. By way of reproach, to the members of an English Antinomian sect of the Commonwealth period, variously associated with the Familists, etc.
- n. Also, opprobriously, to the Primitive Methodists, who formed themselves into a society in 1810, although the founders had separated from the old Methodist society some years before, the ground of disagreement being that the new body favored street preaching, camp-meetings, etc.
- n. A merry, roving fellow; a jolly drinker.
- n. A large beer-jug.
- To pour liquor from a large into a smaller vessel.
- Same as renter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who rants and raves; speaks in a violent or loud manner
Sorry, no etymologies found.