from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Refreshment with food and drink.
- n. A light meal or repast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Mental or spiritual refreshment.
- n. Physical refreshment, especially with food or drink.
- n. A meal, especially a light meal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Refreshment after hunger or fatigue; a repast; a lunch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Refreshment after hunger or fatigue; a repast: applied especially to meals in religious houses.
- n. In civil law and old English law, repair; restoration to good condition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a light meal or repast
You see his reflection in a mirror, but the refection is moving and doing the same things he is, about a second after he does it.
This grateful refection is still used in the harvest-field.
For in the composing of this lordly book, I never lost nor bestowed any more, nor any other time than what was appointed to serve me for taking of my bodily refection, that is, whilst I was eating and drinking.
The twofold number of the Eucharistic elements of bread and wine does not interfere with the unity of the sacrament; for the idea of refection embraces both eating and drinking, nor do our meals in consequence double their number.
I declined the offer of what Patten calls "refection" also, tho 'I needed it on coming down stairs; for it had pained me very much to get thro' that interview.
The latter kind of refection includes only pork and bacon.
"refection," accompanied by much champagne, which always closed these evenings.
Rather, it has everything to do with numbers on the scale and your refection in the mirror.
The "true freedom" Carter was talking about, the freedom afforded by a capacity for honest self-refection and an awakened consciousness, was the subject of Darkness on the Edge of Town, released a year before the President's speech.
I tell him to come in anyway, and he stands behind me, staring at my refection in the hole I've made in the mirror.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.