American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act or practice of flagellating.
- n. Biology The flagellar arrangement on an organism.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A whipping or flogging; the discipline of the scourge.
- n. In biology, the formation or development of flagella.
- n. botany The formation by plants of flagella, or their arrangement.
- n. A beating consisting in lashes, notably as corporal punishment or mortification, such as (in principle implement-precise) a whipping or scourging.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A beating or flogging; a whipping; a scourging.
- n. beating as a source of erotic or religious stimulation
- n. beating with a whip or strap or rope as a form of punishment
- From flagellum, 'elongated filiform appendage', itself a diminutive of Latin flagrum 'whip', so closely related to etymology 1 (Wiktionary)
“I believe the humility and self-flagellation is real, but also a very effective political tactic: a pre-emptive confession that defuses any accusations.”
“Self-flagellation is an annual tradition in Pampanga and other parts of the Philippines in which men whip themselves into a frenzy on Good Friday to atone for their sins.”
“Yet upward of a half dozen times a year, this phenomenon of self-flagellation is repeated in the nation's prisons.”
“They determined that the flagellation was an appropriate symbolic representation of what happened to Jesus every time we denied the truth of his life and his teachings.”
“Those with more time go to Urbino, for the enigmatic little painting once called a flagellation, now identified as "The Dream of St. Jerome.”
“A simple test of the big ego is the inability to take a joke, inability to take criticism, seeing everything as an insult to one's respect or "face" which must be protected at all costs (status game), every idea is to be taken very seriously and a profound dissatisfaction is felt and expressed when reality is unwilling to cooperate, either the lack of self-criticism (everything is the fault of others or society) or the opposite extreme, self-flagellation, which is just basically another kind of big-ego game, the holier-than-thou one, and an inability to see other people as anything else but the object of one's desires or an obstacle to them.”
“Chercheurs et des Curieux_, and thus obtained a complete bibliography of flagellation which is of considerable value.”
“– - What a train wreck of a show that would be, unless Beck & Palin are into self flagellation.”
“All presidents are human, and taking responsibility does not mean self-flagellation.”
“It shows them that even if their attempts at terror fail, they may still obtain an opportunity to propagandize from the largest stage in the world, while their captors undergo self-flagellation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flagellation’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Adult themed words
I love you Christopher Hitchens, but all your big words are making me feel dumb.
My big word list.
In the midnight hour she cried MOAR MOAR MOAR
Looking for tweets for flagellation.