from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rite of purification, especially washing.
- n. The restoration of credibility to a government by the purging of perpetrators of crimes committed under an earlier regime.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of lustrating or purifying.
- n. A sacrifice, or ceremony, by which cities, fields, armies, or people, defiled by crimes, pestilence, or other cause of uncleanness, were purified.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Ceremonial purification; especially, a religious act of purgation or cleansing by the use of water or certain sacrifices or ceremonies, or both, performed among the ancients upon persons, armies, cities, localities, animals, etc.
Latin lustratio (Wiktionary)