from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A food or drink served usually before a meal to stimulate the appetite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, light, and usually savory first course in a meal
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Something which creates or whets an appetite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which excites or whets the appetite, as a walk; anything that gives a relish for food.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. food or drink to stimulate the appetite (usually served before a meal or as the first course)
Sorry, no etymologies found.