from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rest or nap after the midday meal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nap, especially an afternoon one taken after lunch in some cultures.
- v. To take a siesta; to nap.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A short sleep taken about the middle of the day, or after dinner; a midday nap.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A midday rest or nap; an interval of sleep or repose taken in the hottest part of the day: a common practice in Spain and other hot countries.
- To rest and sleep or take a nap; to indulge in a siesta.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a nap in the early afternoon (especially in hot countries)
Spanish, from Latin sexta (hōra), sixth (hour), midday, feminine of sextus, sixth; see sext.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish siesta. (Wiktionary)