from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Rigorous in religious observance; marked by stern morality.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Puritans.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Puritans, or to their doctrines and practice.
- adj. Precise in observance of legal or religious requirements; strict; overscrupulous; rigid; — often used by way of reproach or contempt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as puritanic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. exaggeratedly proper
- adj. morally rigorous and strict
- adj. of or relating to Puritans or Puritanism
Formation from puritan and -ical suffix to produce definition 1. (Wiktionary)