American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Extremely careful and precise.
- adj. Extremely or excessively concerned with details.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Timid; over-careful.
- adj. archaic Timid, fearful, overly cautious.
- adj. Characterized by very precise, conscientious attention to details.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. archaic Timid; fearful.
- adj. Taking great care to get every detail correct; working thoroughly and with precision.
- adj. marked by precise accordance with details
- adj. marked by extreme care in treatment of details
- From Latin meticulōsus ("full of fear, timid, fearful, terrible, frightful"), from metus ("fear") and -culōsus, extracted from perīculōsus ("perilous"). (Wiktionary)
- From Latin metīculōsus, timid, from metus, fear. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“She was referring to her meticulous joke file, featured in her 2010 documentary, "Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work.”
“But with great patience, he always explained them to me in meticulous detail.”
“They plan it in meticulous detail over the course of a very condensed week.”
“The report describes in meticulous detail over three volumes the failures of both the medical and legal systems.”
“If I think something should be no-crimed then I write it up as such on the call log, in meticulous detail if necessary.”
“Its greatest merit is to show in meticulous detail how the organized crime syndicate in the region, Camorra, has been able to forge relationships of mutual cooperation with a sizeable section of the local and national economies, and how legal and illegal production intersect and support each other.”
“An argument between married lawyers has continued longer than expected whilst each of them takes turns to cross-examine the other in meticulous detail.”
“There was absolutely not another word Ian McEwan had to say, the subject had been turned inside out, described in meticulous detail and analysed down to the very last ... well to the very last I don't know what really, but no imagination was required, all this reader's work had been done.”
“This was covered in meticulous detail by Heart, after interviewing a feminist attorney, in a post at Women's Space.”
“For an average of five to six hours a day, he adhered to a strict regimen that required him to write Chinese characters over and over again, in meticulous and methodical fashion.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘meticulous’.
The words on this list SAT regulars that I haven't sorted and grouped yet. It's like my wordy holding pen. get it? holding the pen to write a word? HA! I love how lame my humor is.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Busie old foole, unruly Sunne,..Sawcy pedantique wretch, goe chide Late schooleboyes.
Here are 40 advanced English words which should you be able to use them in a sentence will impress even educated native speakers! Perfect if you want to impress the examiner in examinations like: I...
letters starting with m
Looking for tweets for meticulous.