American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Full of keen anticipation or excitement; eager.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a state of eager desire; highly excited by eagerness or curiosity; astir.
- adj. In eager desire, eager, astir.
- adj. Wide open.
- adv. In a state of high anticipation, excitement, or interest.
GNU Webster's 1913
- In eager desire; eager; astir.
- adj. highly excited
- From Middle English, from Old French, en + gogues "in a merry mood". See also the Italian agognare ("to desire eagerly") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English agogge, from Old French en gogue, in merriment : en, in (from Latin in; see in-2) + gogue, merriment. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I love the word agog, it sounds like caveman speech.”
“In New Zealand, on the other hand, although in agog an Act was passed by which every man between 17 and 55 years of age is liable for service, the Government have lately decided to create a maximum force of 30,000 men, and to secure universal training.”
“The image is straight out of National Geographic, circa 1955, complete with white warrior-king bringing civilization to the "agog" villagers of a primitive land.”
“I'm kind of agog here that the developers in this thread don't seem to care about that, or regard it all as pointless whining by aggrieved forum ranters.”
“The Ryeville Courier reported that the county was "agog" over the ball to be given by the veterans of the Rye House porch.”
“Now Washington is agog in a new president with big plans.”
“He is recently returned from the war and everyone at the office is agog to have him back.”
“Speaking of the late 80's and early 90's as a time of lovely women's fashions, I remember a little before that, in the early 80's, when we were all agog over Princess Diana's clothes.”
“At which point I was kinda agog and just wandered off to read something that wasn't awful.”
“The state unemployment numbers came out today, and the papers are all agog that that the unemployment rate is down to 7.0%.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘agog’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Just a list of words
Words with the prefix "a"
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words chosen as favorites for the Twitter hashtag #faveword.
facial expressions, gestures, postures or attitudes that communicate specific meanings
I imagine most of these will be Anglo-Saxon, not likely to crop up in the average day's conversation, and thus excellent for Scrabble. ("most" is too common, likewise "will" and even "crop", in an...
By David Foster Wallace
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Looking for tweets for agog.