from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A strong to brilliant greenish yellow to moderate or strong yellow green.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A yellow or green liqueur made by Carthusian monks.
- n. A greenish yellow colour.
- adj. of a bright yellowish-green colour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Carthusian monastery; esp. La Grande Chartreuse, mother house of the order, in the mountains near Grenoble, France.
- n. An alcoholic cordial, distilled from aromatic herbs; -- made at La Grande Chartreuse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A monastery of Carthusian monks, especially in France.
- n. A highly esteemed tonic cordial, obtained by the distillation of various aromatic plants, especially nettles, growing on the Alps.
- n. In cookery, a preparation usually of game, fillets, etc., incased in a mold of rice; also, fruits inclosed in blanc-mange or puddings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of something having the yellowish green color of Chartreuse liqueur
- n. aromatic green or yellow liqueur flavored with orange peel and hyssop and peppermint oils; made at monastery near Grenoble, France
- n. a shade of green tinged with yellow
In the top 10 feet of the water, chartreuse is hard to beat.
The ¼-ounce size 4 in chartreuse works well for perch, and even betterwhen one of the hook points is tipped with a fresh perch eyeball (yes, really).
Ilike the marabou-tailed Foxee jigs by Blue Fox, in chartreuse, 1/16 - and1/8-ounce sizes.
CHARTRUESE: The color quickly becoming a signature one for Mrs. O is known as chartreuse, which is exactly 50 percent green and 50 percent yellow.
If they typed in chartreuse sprockets, and that exact text is in bold in the header of your ad, that’s a big selling point, and makes them more likely to click through to your site.
The leaves were just out, and his father had captured the delicate early green, chartreuse, that is gone in a week.
"chartreuse" and "none," local marketing exec Kate O'Neill had this status update retort:
His shoulder-length hair splayed across the collar of his gold and purple cutaway coats, which often framed chartreuse vests and floral-print ties.
For the last two weeks I have seldom stirred out of bed except for meals, reading-matter, or to visit the toilet and cough up chartreuse slime.
Creme Brulee was a frog that was a perfectly normal chartreuse beanbag except that it had mutated to taste like its name instead of like chicken.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.