from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To lead away from duty, accepted principles, or proper conduct. See Synonyms at lure.
- transitive v. To induce to engage in sex.
- transitive v. To entice or beguile into a desired state or position.
- transitive v. To win over; attract.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To beguile or lure someone away from duty, accepted principles, or proper conduct. To lead astray.
- v. To entice or induce someone to engage in a sexual relationship
- v. To win over or attract someone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To draw aside from the path of rectitude and duty in any manner; to entice to evil; to lead astray; to tempt and lead to iniquity; to corrupt.
- transitive v. Specifically, to induce to engage in sexual intercourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lead aside or astray; entice away from duty, legal obligation, or rectitude, as by promises, bribes, etc.; corrupt; specifically, to entice (a woman) to a surrender of chastity. See seduction, 2.
- Synonyms Lure, Decoy, etc. See allure, and list under entice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. induce to have sex
- v. lure or entice away from duty, principles, or proper conduct
I especially enjoyed juxtaposing the scientific and the erotic, as when Jennet and Ben Franklin seduce each other while performing an experiment with a rotating sulphur ball.
Averages again seduce us away from minute observation.
"His own mouth condemns him," exclaimed the impostor; "he confesses that his intention was to seduce from the way of salvation our well-beloved sister in God; away with him to the dungeon; to-morrow he dies the death; we are manifestly called upon to make an example, tremendous and appalling, to scare the children of sin from our asylum of the saved."
Or an ungodly witness is one that profanely and atheistically witnesses against religion and godliness, whose instructions seduce from the words of knowledge (v. 27); such a one scorns judgment, laughs at the terrors of the Lord, mocks at that fear, Job xv.
Sadly, SoWhat and The Round can't even master the "seduce" part of the equation.
Kill discreetly two minotaurs since their body parts are highly sought commodities - it is a sacrilege to even provoke the powerful and long lived beings as they have a storied past helping Caeli Amur against enemies - so, using the oldest trick in the book, Kata goes bar-hopping to "seduce" her victims.
The inference I took is that they got called on exploiting Chelsea in an act of desperation to try to "seduce" superdelegates and celebs.
They got caught explaoiting her to "seduce" superdelegates and celebs, so they lashed back at the messenger under the guise of misogyny.
"Is it possible that girls could have a desire, in their heart of hearts, to 'seduce' the father, emotionally at least, because this would mean having more power in the family ...?"
Endemically corrupt, it can only survive if it can "seduce" the opposition.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.