from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A special clay containing iron and manganese oxides, used as a pigment for oil and watercolor painting.
- n. Raw sienna.
- n. Burnt sienna.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a form of clay containing iron and manganese.
- n. a pigment with a reddish-brown colour.
- n. a light reddish-brown colour.
- adj. having a reddish-brown colour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Clay that is colored red or brown by the oxides of iron or manganese, and used as a pigment. It is used either in the raw state or burnt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ferruginous ocherous earth, fine and smooth, used as a pigment in both oil and water-color painting.
- n. The color of sienna pigment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an earth color containing ferric oxides; used as a pigment
This beautiful bag includes inside zipper and open pockets, an open outside pocket, a top zipper closure, an adjustable shoulder strap and comes in sienna, brown, or black.
The markings are large blotches and spots, often forming zones or caps about the larger end, where they seem almost always to be most conspicuous, as they vary in colour from an intense burnt-sienna which is almost black, through a dingy maroon, and again to a dull, somewhat pale reddish brown; here and there individual eggs exhibit a hair-line or two, or a hieroglyphic-like mark, but these are the exceptions.
I grabbed my favorite crayon, burnt sienna, and started writing:
Projected Color scheme: a medium reddish brown sienna for the hulls with a brown wash.
Of course, this vixen would carry only the essentials to get around town, and for that there's a burnt sienna camera bag to swing from the wrist.
I grind pigments using a mortar and pestle the way painters used to ground lapis lazuli, burnt sienna, and cerulean blue centuries ago.
I, for one, think his burnt sienna skin goes perfectly with his plasticine Ken-doll haircut.
Bernal, Querétaro is a delightfully charming 16th century colonial village, whose buildings are painted in the colors of a Mexican sunset - ocher, soft yellow, sienna, rich orange and dusty rose.
Although I go through music like burnt sienna here's some current faves for painting and Ipodville:
Using resources such as ochres and raw sienna mixed with organic materials such as roots, carmine, cochineal, ivory black and burnt bones, he fashioned the most radiant of colors.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.