American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A contour feather of a bird, as distinguished from a down feather or a plume.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology, a feather; a plume; specifically, a contour-feather, as distinguished from a down-feather or plumule; especially, one of the large stiff feathers of the wings or tail; one of the remiges or rectrices. See feather.
- n. Same as pen-case.
- n. a contour feather
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A perfect, or normal, feather.
- From Latin penna ("feather") (Wiktionary)
- Latin, feather; see pet- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Note 49: The Italian word for pen, penna, originates from feather.”
“I would prefer lower fulton county close maryland line or warfordsburg, penna. area.”
“Does anyone know of any hunting ground for lease in fulton county, penna?”
“You may wish to have a good penna de casa or focaccia to go with it.”
“Dense high tussock grass dominates all the coastal lowlands and cliffs up to 200-500 m except in marshes where the pennywort Hydrocotyle capitata is common and on the drier western slopes which are dominated by tree fern Blechnum penna-marina heath.”
“Out of this fountain proceed all those cracks and brags, —  speramus carmina fingi Posse linenda cedro, et leni servanda cupresso —  Non usitata nec tenui ferar penna. — nec in terra morabor longius.”
“Un animazione bella e toccante, che usa diverse tecniche per ottenere un aspetto che sa di carta e penna.”
“On it you may see the Pendennis coat of arms, and crest, an eagle looking towards the sun, with the motto ‘nec tenui penna,’ to the present day.”
“Sun, and the motto, “Nec tenui penna,” painted beneath.”
“Toss 3 c. hot cooked penna pasta with about ¼ c. pesto, more or less depending on your personal picky taste.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘penna’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Wordies relating to birdies. :-)
Looking for tweets for penna.