American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Shy and reserved; modest.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Departing; retreating; going out of sight or notice.
- Fond of retirement; disposed to seclusion; shrinking from society or publicity; reserved.
- Unobtrusive; modest; quiet; subdued: as, a person of retiring manners.
- Granted to or suitable for one who retires, as from public employment or service.
- Synonyms and Coy, bashful, diffident, shy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Reserved; shy; not forward or obtrusive
- adj. Of or pertaining to retirement; causing retirement; suited to, or belonging to, retirement.
- adj. reluctant to draw attention to yourself
- adj. of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office
- adj. not arrogant or presuming
“Eleven o'clock had struck some half-hour ago, and the elder Steffinks began to throw out suggestions leading up to that process which they called retiring for the night.”
“Hughes dropped out of filmmaking in 1991, retiring from the public eye, and rarely granting or giving interviews to the media.”
“After retiring from the military in 1972, Westmoreland moved to Charleston, South Carolina, and spent some of his time as a public speaker.”
“Shortly after retiring from the Foreign Ministry in January 1966, she became secretary general of the Mapai Party and supported Prime Minister Levi Eshkol in intraparty conflicts.”
“After retiring from the screen, Mary Pickford continued to be involved in filmmaking.”
“With the current depressing state of the economy, politics, crime rate, standard of living, etc., there are numerous reasons why US citizens are more interested than ever in retiring abroad (beyond the boundaries of one's own country).”
“But I have to tell you, the prospect of retiring is beginning to sound better and better.”
“Several Tehran papers have reported that some Iranian soccer players are retiring from the national team, fueling speculation the departure was related to green bands the players wore in support of the country's opposition movement.”
“ON this general topic, I have to assume that retiring from the field of play for the call of nature or a breather is acceptable, but doing so for a snack is not.”
“David King, director of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., is retiring from the agency to accept a position as executive vice president of Dynetics in Huntsville, effective immediately.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘retiring’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Quiet, shy, Introverted, reserved, isolated, mysterious
its a list of words borrowed from Magoosh GRE blog ,an indispensable resource for GRE test takers.
she's such a joy.
mostly from magoosh
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Words as I learn them.
What Abt these ... :)
Looking for tweets for retiring.