from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Shy and reserved; modest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Shy, introverted, liking privacy.
- adj. About to retire.
- v. Present participle of retire.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Reserved; shy; not forward or obtrusive
- adj. Of or pertaining to retirement; causing retirement; suited to, or belonging to, retirement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Departing; retreating; going out of sight or notice.
- Fond of retirement; disposed to seclusion; shrinking from society or publicity; reserved.
- Unobtrusive; modest; quiet; subdued: as, a person of retiring manners.
- Granted to or suitable for one who retires, as from public employment or service.
- Synonyms and Coy, bashful, diffident, shy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. reluctant to draw attention to yourself
- adj. of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office
- adj. not arrogant or presuming
Sorry, no etymologies found.