American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of attaching, connecting, or installing electric wires.
- n. A system of electric wires.
- n. A part of the body's physiology or neurology that determines or controls something, such as a capability or disorder: "Evolution, having made the basic computational units of language innate, may have seen no need to replace every bit of learned information with innate wiring” ( Steven Pinker).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, the holding in apposition of the ends of a fractured bone by means of wire passed through holes drilled in the bony substance: a method employed most frequently in cases of fractured patella, in which bony union is especially difficult to obtain.
- n. In taxidermy, the setting or fixing of the skin on a wire framework or the insertion of a wire in any member: as, the wiring of the legs was faulty.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of one that wires anything.
- n. The wires or conductors employed in any system in which electric voltages or current are transmitted between components.
- n. the work of installing the wires for an electrical system or device
- n. a circuit of wires for the distribution of electricity
“To deliver SchoolNet and the Community Access Program, we need to make sure the wiring is there.”
“So maybe our hard wiring is why we will never be wine-tasting robots, with pesky things like emotions and context getting in the way.”
“Lakeview's underground wiring is still affected by salt waters from Katrina," Robinson said.”
“Sometimes, wiring is okay, but we can't physically get to the lights because the streets are just dirt and sand and are inaccessible during construction.”
“ALL our wiring is underground, thank you very much.”
“Our evolutionary hard wiring is to live in very small groups, separated by large areas of natural wilderness.”
“The fact that small gauge wiring is more dangerous is unknown to them.”
“(The flirtation doesn't last; soon, the murderers wrap Buckingham in wiring and electrocute him.)”
“I can't wait to see more pictures as the wiring is done and more cabinets go into place.”
“The electrician who did the initial wiring is long gone and I don't have any diagrams to work with.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wiring’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Words from the California State Spelling Bee in 2011, from which I got fourth place.
Looking for tweets for wiring.