American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country of southwest South America with a long Pacific coastline. Originally inhabited by Araucanian Indian peoples, it was colonized by Spain in 1541 and declared its independence in 1818. One of the most politically stable and economically prosperous of South American countries, Chile annexed mineral-rich territory from Bolivia and Peru following the War of the Pacific (1879-1884). Santiago is the capital and the largest city. Population: 16,300,000.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See chilli.
- n. A country in South America. Official name: Republic of Chile.
- n. very hot and finely tapering pepper of special pungency
- n. a republic in southern South America on the western slopes of the Andes on the south Pacific coast
- From Quechua chili ("the end of the world"). (Wiktionary)
“Serious if chile can release it then the US should be able to. have anyone heard any complaints about the “issues” ATT is holding it for from Chile or Rogers users?”
“Den it was, chile, dat I thought of what my mother told me, years ago; it came to me, all fresh -- 'Chile, when trouble comes, you ask de Lord to help you;' and I saw dat I had n't asked de Lord to help me; and now, says I to myself, de Lord can't help me; 'cause he”
“TALCA, CHILE - One of the strongest earthquakes ever recorded struck Chile today, toppling homes, collapsing bridges and plunging trucks into the fractured earth.”
“CONCEPCION, CHILE - Authorities in Chile say yesterday's earthquake has left about 300 dead.”
“SANTIAGO, CHILE: An earthquake has rattled an area in northern Chile where the South American country's main mining operations are located.”
“CHILE: A massive magnitude-8. 8 earthquake struck south-central Chile early on Saturday, reportedly killing 52 people, triggering a tsunami and rattling buildings in the capital Santiago.”
“Trapped chile miners this is the raw video of the trapped Chile minners”
“CHILE MINE COLLAPSE: An interactive about the mine collapse in Chile and the 33 miners trapped underground including a timeline and bios of the miners is available, international/chileminecollapse.”
“CHILE MINE COLLAPSE: An interactive about the mine collapse in Chile and the 33 miners trapped underground including a timeline and bios of the miners is available, - international/chile - mine - collapse.”
“CHILE, March 16, 2009 (LifeSiteNews. com) - A judge has provoked outrage in Chile by awarding custody of two children to their homosexual father, after he left his wife to live with his male lover.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Chile’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
This is the place to add words you'd like Charles Harrington Elster to pronounce for you!
Capitonyms are, properly, words which change meaning and sound when they change case. This particular list may also erringly include words which change meaning, but not sound. These are improper. S...
Looking for tweets for Chile.