American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Lacking energy or disinclined to exert effort; lethargic: reacted to the latest crisis with listless resignation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Indifferent to or taking no interest in what happens about one; languid and unheeding: as, a listless hearer or spectator.
- Marked by languid inactivity; manifesting relaxed attention; inanimate: as, a listless attitude.
- Synonyms Listless, Careless, Supine, Indolent. The listless and the careless do not care or desire; the supine and the indolent do not care enough to conquer their shrinking from activity or work. The words may all indicate a temporary state or a permanent element of character; indolent generally indicates the latter. (See idle.) Careless is not caring; supine is literally lying flat on one's back, not rousing one's self at all, ignobly indifferent; listless, indifferent and languid. Listless does not necessarily imply blame.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having no desire or inclination; indifferent; heedless; spiritless.
- adj. marked by low spirits; showing no enthusiasm
- adj. lacking zest or vivacity
- From list + -less. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English listles : probably from liste, desire (from listen, to desire; see list5) + -les, -lesse, -less. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“After some days spent in listless indolence, during which I traversed many leagues,”
“But he grew up, I think, with -- I don't want to use the word listless; I'm very careful -- with a sense of following in the family footsteps to some extent, but not in the political vein.”
“Since I arrived not a leaf has stirred, not a bird has sung, the tides ebb and flow in listless and soundless ripples.”
“She could do nothing for herself, she could only obey Joan's dictates, and this she did in listless misery.”
“Design, were pretty lethargic, a word that means "listless" - and also a word Wiggins might not know how to spell.”
“A shadow was on the threshold, and before I had recalled my listless fancy, in tripped Frances Sutherland, herself, feigning not to see me.”
“Hence, in this anarchic foam of tastes and distastes, a kind of listless blur, gradually appears the figure of a bodily enigma, requiring complicity or irritation.”
“DAN HILL, BODY LANGUAGE EXPERT: And if you don't do something, I think you run the risk of looking kind of listless, forlorn, marooned.”
“Robert visited Saturday but we were kind of listless and uncreative.”
“So I still feel kind of listless and shitty, and I couldn't for the life of me come up with a reason.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘listless’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words ending with *more or *less, more or less. Many of theses terms also appear on the list The -less Said, which see.
I'm sure someone's done this before. If so, please leave the name of the list as an item on the list. Thank you.
words of what happens when one is left behind.
reference to Joyce's Book of the Dark (a dissecting of Finnegan's Wake)
Words Describing Emotions
Anyone who adds to this list is obviously showing too much initiative.
i suppose, all of the words & phrases yoni wolf uses in alopecia, that i love.
Looking for tweets for listless.