from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being an imitation or a substitute, usually an inferior one; artificial: ersatz coffee made mostly of chicory. See Synonyms at artificial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Made in imitation; artificial, especially of an inferior quality.
- n. : Something made in imitation; an effigy or substitute.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. artificial and inferior
- n. an artificial or inferior substitute or imitation
German, replacement, from ersetzen, to replace, from Old High German irsezzan : ir-, out; see ud- in Indo-European roots + sezzan, to set; see sed- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the German Ersatz ("a replacement"); and from the German verb ersetzen ("to replace"). (Wiktionary)