American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Being the same: another orator who used the senator's identical words.
- adj. Exactly equal and alike.
- adj. Having such a close similarity or resemblance as to be essentially equal or interchangeable.
- adj. Biology Of or relating to a twin or twins developed from the same fertilized ovum and having the same genetic makeup and closely similar appearance; monozygotic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being the same; absolutely indistinguishable; distinguishable only as points of view of that which is one in its own being: also used loosely to express the fact that two or more things compared are the same in the particulars considered, or differ in no essential point.
- Expressing identity.
- adj. not comparable Bearing full likeness by having precisely the same set of characteristics; indistinguishable.
- adj. not comparable Not different or other; not another or others; not different as regards self; selfsame; numerically identical.
- adj. not comparable Having some particular qualities or characteristics in common, but not all of them.
- adj. not comparable, biology Of twins, sharing the same genetic code.
- adj. not comparable, mathematics Exactly equivalent.
- adj. comparable, rare Approximating or approaching exact equivalence.
- n. usually pluralized Something which has exactly the same properties as something else.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. The same; the selfsame; the very same; not different.
- adj. Uttering sameness or the same truth; expressing in the predicate what is given, or obviously implied, in the subject; tautological.
- adj. exactly alike; incapable of being perceived as different
- adj. (of twins) derived from a single egg or ovum
- adj. having properties with uniform values along all axes
- adj. being the exact same one; not any other:
- adj. coinciding exactly when superimposed
- From identic + -al. (Wiktionary)
- From Medieval Latin identicus, from Late Latin identitās, identity; see identity. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Thus Theseus 2 can be identical with Theseus 1 only in a “loose and popular” sense of ˜identical™.”
“In using the term identical it is intended to designate just one unit of the course, as English I, or Latin II.”
“However, the term identical twins actually refers to a type of twinning, and describes how they form, not what they look like.”
“When we get these binaries, now we can compare each one of them to the binary form of the inputs to determine the term identical to the state of prime implicant.”
“After a minute or two, we arrived at a large security door, guarded by two armed men, dressed in identical dark green uniforms.”
“And you can see that all three approaches result in identical curves.”
“These men undoubtedly influenced the eventual abandonment of dressing boys and girls in identical dresses in the early 20th century; children are especially impressionable, and susceptible to gender confusion (which was, and remains, generally undesirable).”
“There may be a real problem there — only to make a general attack against a group of people like the two sets are identical is sometimes very far from the truth and in any case counter to general principles of human equality.”
“Now I do believe the evidence favors the view that in identical environments racial differences would disappear.”
“However, by this process the Senate bill will still have ‘passed both houses in identical language’ (again, if one accepts ‘deeming’ as being passed).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘identical’.
Use these and get promoted
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words that end like pickle. Listed here because they're funny (because they end like pickle).
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Adjectives meaning same
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for identical.