from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. That can be converted: a convertible sofa bed.
- adj. Having a top that can be folded back or removed: a convertible automobile.
- adj. Lawfully exchangeable for gold or another currency: dollars convertible into yen.
- n. Something that can be converted.
- n. A convertible automobile.
- n. A convertible security.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Able to be converted
- adj. Capable of being turned or rotated
- adj. Capable of being exchanged or interchanged, reciprocal, interchangeable
- adj. Having the right to be converted into a different security, usually common stock, at the holder's option
- n. A car whose roof can be removed or folded
- n. A hybrid security that can be converted into stock
- n. A portable computer that can be physically converted between laptop and tablet configurations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Capable of being converted; susceptible of change; transmutable; transformable.
- adj. Capable of being exchanged or interchanged; reciprocal; interchangeable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of being changed in form, substance, or condition; susceptible of change; transmutable; transformable: as, iron is convertible into steel, and wood into charcoal.
- Capable of being turned into an equivalent by exchange; transformable by mutual transfer: as, bonds or scrip convertible into other securities; convertible property.
- Specifically, in banking and com., capable of being converted or changed into gold of similar amount at any time: applied to bank-notes and other forms of paper money: as, a convertible paper currency.
- Capable of being applied or turned, as to a new use.
- So constituted as to be interchangeable; equivalent in certain or all respects.
- In logic, true, or asserted to be true, after conversion or the interchange of subject and predicate. See conversion, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sofa that can be converted into a bed
- n. a corporate security (usually bonds or preferred stock) that can be exchanged for another form of security (usually common stock)
- n. a car that has top that can be folded or removed
- adj. capable of being changed in substance as if by alchemy
- adj. designed to be changed from one use or form to another
- adj. capable of being exchanged for or replaced by something of equal value
Sorry, no etymologies found.