from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Slang Mawkishly sentimental; corny.
- adj. Slang Noticeably contrived; artificial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. phony, as if a hoax; noticeably contrived; of obviously flimsy credibility or quality
- adj. corny; overly or unbelievably sentimental
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. artificially formal
- adj. effusively or insincerely emotional
From the verb hoke ("to give an artificial feel to"), from hokum. (Wiktionary)