from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a distance between shoulders and waist that is longer than average.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a long waist; long from the armpits to the bottom of the waist; -- said of persons.
- adj. Long from the part about the neck or shoulder, or from the armpits, to the bottom of the weist, or to the skirt; -- said of garments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a long waist, as a person or a ship. See waist.
- Long from the armpits to the waist or narrowest part, as a dress or coat.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
However, in my experience, some women who are up to five foot six might need to shop in petites for pants if they are long-waisted or for tops if they are short-waisted.
Miriam Ingrid Bergen, a long-waisted seven-year-old with a delicate chin and a penchant for risk, takes Esther under her wing.
If you're long-waisted, tuck a slim black tee into these belted khaki pants ($90) for a flattering proportion.
A "proportioned" dress is one where they make allowances for short- and long-waisted people, and include three different bodice pieces to make fitting easier.
And I'm hoping maybe he'll choose some fit models that aren't so dern long-waisted ...
She was long-waisted and heavy in the hips but hid it well beneath tailored black slacks and a Burberry raincoat, open to show off the signature white, tan, and black tartan lining.
Even though I'm short waisted, I'll concede that she could be long-waisted.
The biggest problem with it is that it's meant to be a little cropped, and I'm long-waisted, which means that the end result was very cropped, in a 2002-midriff-baring sort of way.
They ride pleasantly low, but not "look at my undies!" low -- which is sometimes a problem for me (as you can see in this picture, I'm quite long-waisted).
Because she is so long-waisted, she sticks with shorter tops -- often ones cropped above the waist.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.