from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Islam The messiah who, it is believed, will appear at the world's end and establish a reign of peace and righteousness.
- n. Islam A leader who assumes the role of a messiah.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Among Mohammedans, the last imam or leader of the faithful. The Sunni, the largest sect of the Mohammedans, believe that he is yet to appear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. According to Mohammedan belief, a spiritual and temporal ruler destined to appear on earth during the last days.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Islam) a messianic leader who (according to popular Muslim belief) will appear before the end of the world and restore justice and religion
Arabic mahdī, rightly guided one, Mahdi, passive participle of hadā, to lead; see hdy in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic مهدي ("guided one"). (Wiktionary)