from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of inferior or mediocre quality or value.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a British ship-of-the-line sail warship that has 90 to 98 guns dispersed onto 3 gundecks.
- adj. Of mediocre quality, not first class.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of the second size, rank, quality, or value.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the second rate, as to size, rank, quality, importance, or estimation: as, a second-rate ship; second-rate works; a second-rate actor.
- n. Anything that is rated or classed as second.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. moderate to inferior in quality
Sorry, no etymologies found.