from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of secondary status: second-class issues.
- adj. Of or relating to travel accommodations ranking next below the highest or first class.
- adj. Of or relating to a class of U.S. and Canadian mail consisting of newspapers and periodicals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Inferior in quality or standing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of the rank or degree below the best or highest; inferior; second-rate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to the class next after the first: specifically noting railway-carriages, steamer accommodations, and the like: as, second-class passengers; a second-class ticket.
- Inferior, in any sense: as, a second-class hotel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of inferior status or quality
- n. not the highest rank in a classification
- n. not the highest quality in a classification
- adv. by second class conveyance
- n. a class of accommodations on a ship or train or plane that are less expensive than first class accommodations
Sorry, no etymologies found.
To be Hispanic is not to be a second-class citizen.
It is not at all surprising that a people relegated to second-class citizenship should behave as second-class citizens.
The Commission explained why "second-class information citizenship is looming" for many Americans, but commission reports tend not to be powerful tools for motivating grass-roots organizing.
White also pleaded guilty to fraternization for dating the second-class personnel clerk who entered
American servicewomen will continue to be viewed as second-class warriors if leaders push them to take up the customs of countries where women are second-class citizens.
Civil rights hero and Medal of Freedom winner Rep. John Lewis D-Ga. has continuously and vocally made the link between the Civil Rights movement and the struggle of gay men and lesbians against inequality, discrimination and second-class citizenship.
It is a compromise that has since been rejected by leading gay-rights advocates in Maryland, who see civil unions as second-class treatment.
Hook up with a group like Streets for All Seattle and insist that cyclists and pedestrians no longer be second-class commuters in the city.
Many members of the new ruling class taking shape in eastern Libya are from long-privileged tribes that were relegated to second-class status under Col.
Bill sponsors have been adamant that they do not want civil unions, which they argue amount to second-class treatment of gay couples.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.