American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Traveling from place to place, especially to perform work or a duty: an itinerant judge; itinerant labor.
- n. One who travels from place to place.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Traveling from place to place; wandering; not settled; strolling; specifically, going from place to place, especially on a circuit, in the discharge of duty: as, an itinerant preacher; an itinerant judge.
- n. One who travels from place to place; a traveler; a wanderer; specifically, one who travels from place to place, especially on a circuit, in the discharge of duty or the pursuit of business, as an itinerant judge or preacher, or a strolling actor.
- adj. Habitually travelling from place to place.
- n. One who travels from place to place.
- n. Ireland a member of the Travelling Community, whether settled or not.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Passing or traveling about a country; going or preaching on a circuit; wandering; not settled
- adj. One who travels from place to place, particularly a preacher; one who is unsettled.
- adj. traveling from place to place to work
- n. a laborer who moves from place to place as demanded by employment
- From itinerāns, present active participle of itineror ("I travel"). (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin itinerāns, itinerant-, present participle of itinerārī, to travel, from Latin iter, itiner-, journey; see ei- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“One definition of itinerant is - traveling from place to place, especially to perform work or a duty.”
“The difference between the regular trader and the _coureur des bois_, (as the French call the itinerant or peddling traders,) with respect to the sale of spirits, is here, as it always has been, fixed and permanent, and growing out of the nature of their trade.”
The Exploring Expedition to the Rocky Mountains, Oregon and California To which is Added a Description of the Physical Geography of California, with Recent Notices of the Gold Region from the Latest and Most Authentic Sources
“Mr. Wang is the kind of itinerant worker found in China by the millions, wandering from city to city in these boom years, and so it was chance that brought him home two days before the quake.”
“Is there a threshold below which we would have to judge Mark "pure fiction," even if a historical person named Jesus existed, had some kind of itinerant ministry in Galilee and the surrounding area, and was crucified in Jerusalem under Pilate?”
“He noted that the Bible was full of people on the move, including Mary and Joseph, the parents of Jesus — and that his office is tasked with dealing with all "itinerant" people — from refugees to prostitutes, truck drivers to the homeless.”
“Before his time, those kind of itinerant authors, called troubadours or romanciers, were a species of madmen who attracted the admiration of fools.”
“I hear that the night that Charles sat up at White's, which was that preceding the night of Lady Holland's death, he planned out a kind of itinerant trade, which was going from horse race to horse race, and so, by knowing the value and speed of all the horses in England, to acquire a certain fortune.”
“They were "itinerant," going on foot from place to place, and wearing coarse robes tied round the waist with a rope.”
“And again, an "itinerant" came along with a machine known as a lung-tester; one fair-haired, slender youth, having fears he would fall below the average, made so great an effort as seriously to impair his health for the time.”
“Since the storm, the city -- long a magnet for escapists and hipsters -- had also been attracting a new kind of itinerant idealist.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘itinerant’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Being a list of words which have "especially" in their definitions.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words so awesome they'll kick your eyeballs' asses!
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
All my favourite words that I come across!
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for itinerant.