from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Travel, as on a bicycle or on skis, for pleasure rather than competition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Working for a short time in different places; "itinerant laborers"; "a road show"; "traveling salesman"; "touring company".
- v. Present participle of tour.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making a tour or journey; traveling; specifically, travel in a motor or other vehicle which lasts for several flays, as distinguished from a drive or simple excursion out and back in one day or a very few days.
- Designed for use in making tours or considerable journeys: as, a touring-car (which see).
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The schedule of touring is grinding, especially for the roadie who is the first to arrive in each city, the last one to leave the hall after each concert, yet the first the first to leave each town.
The Associated Press reports that Emanuel will return to Chicago over the weekend and begin touring neighborhoods on Monday, according to sources familiar with his plans who spoke on condition of anonymity because they did not want to pre-empt Emanuel's announcement.
I do a lot of house concerts -- about half of my touring is to house concerts or concert series '.
The two people, who spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because they did not want to pre-empt Emanuel's announcement, said he will return to Chicago over the weekend and begin touring neighborhoods Monday.
But in touring, I'll put more effort in Junip, especially this year when we release the album until next summer when we'll be out touring quite a lot, actually.
Blog-touring is a new concept for me, although come to think of it, I have probably read a few examples.
April 21st, 2010 3: 38 pm ET why is Palin touring Canada, send her back, Oh they don't want her either ......
Keep in mind that touring is very expensive so profit marigins are slim.
We tread lightly – low volume, low impact trekking/touring is the best way of preserving the beautiful and fragile places we visit.
Lawrence Merton was thirty-three years old and still playing juveniles in touring company productions of Shakespeare.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.